Before we get to the elevators, let me back up a bit…
Immediately following the luncheon, the bridal party and I left to get our nails done at Livvy Nails and Spa in Lakeville, MN. I had picked this salon on a previous planning trip and they were ready for us when we arrived (although there was some miscommunication on when exactly that time would be). Some of us got regular manis, some got gel manis, and some of us went for both a gel mani AND a pedi (like me!).
I was happy as any nail snob could be and since I asked you all for an opinion on my polish colors, it’s only fair that I tell you what I picked! I went with Essie’s dark purple “damsel in a dress” on my toes and bridal white in gel on my hands! I also brought Essie’s lavender “go ginza” as option for the girls’ and most of them did choose either the dark purple or the lavender to compliment their dresses.
We ended up leaving the nail salon in shifts as people were finishing up because it was time to check into the hotel rooms and get organized for the rehearsal. I was in the last car load, being that my appointment was one of the longer ones, and I was starting to get a bit anxious on the drive to Embassy Suites.
My biggest concern was making sure we had the right people in the right hotel rooms near each other. I wanted the girl’s getting ready room (where I was sleeping Friday night) to be directly next to my parent’s room so I could get my dress on with only Mom Sword and Sister/MOH Big Eyes in the room. I wanted it to be a private moment and I didn’t want clothing and makeup supplies in the shots. Mrs. Sword Wedding Tip: Keep an area clear in your room to get into your dress OR go somewhere else entirely. It’s amazing how calming it was to step into my dress one hotel room over from where the getting ready commotion was taking place.
The problem was I wanted to be next to my parent’s room and my parent’s wanted to be next to my grandparent’s room and everyone in the family was checking in at different times. Oh and to complicate things further, the girl’s getting ready room had to be on a different floor than the guy’s getting ready room. Due to all this and who knows what else, my poor father had to transport my heavy, ruffled wedding gown to a grand total of FIVE hotel rooms before it could be officially hung up.
The funniest part was (and I heard this later on) that Mr. Sword was sitting at the hotel bar chatting with his groomsmen and buddies who had just arrived that Friday afternoon. And since my dress had been steamed our alterations friend L suggested we don’t cover it again so it was imperative that Mr. Sword look away every time my Dad went huffing and puffing across the lobby.
Poor Dad Sword, I wish there was some way we could have prevented this, but the truth is with hotels there is no guarantee of early check in, or which rooms you’ll get, or who you’ll be next to, you just have to wait until the day of and hope they are accommodating. And thankfully Embassy Suites Bloomington WAS very accommodating to us!
To make matters worse, the elevators at our hotel were awful. This is truly my only complaint about this Embassy Suites, but it’s a big one! Update and improve your elevators people! The elevators are actually quite beautiful, they are clear glass, and centrally located in the hotel, but slow.as.hell. I wish I could say this was the last time they were problem but alas it is not, and you’ll just have to wait for a later recap to find out more! 😉
Dad Sword wasn’t the only one running laps and waiting on the elevators, I too had to run around and finalize details with Mom Sword, Pastor P, and Mr. Sword! Then a little before 7 PM our amazing videographers arrived to start taping the family and friend interviews to put in our wedding video so we had to get them to a secluded room and make sure people knew where to go. And yes I did take the stairs when I could but we’re talking 8 floors here and all while wearing heels and carrying things!
Apparently there were other issues surfacing as well, like the stickers we had bought last-minute to label who had a vegetarian or a kid’s meal on the escort card swords were not stickers at all but jewels with no adhesive so a few ladies had to run out and buy glue.
There was also a mad scramble to get the keyboard, amp, and music stands set up for the rehearsal later that evening. Luckily I knew nothing of these issues (I love my family and friends) and my biggest focus when I got back to the hotel was squeezing into my fancy rehearsal dress which I first talked about HERE.
I blame 40% of my stress level on being a bride the day before her wedding and the other 60% on those damn elevators!
Looking back now, it’s a big joke in our family, the worst part of the Sword wedding were the elevators from 1970, HAHA, and in retrospect, who really cares? I can TOTALLY laugh about it now. 🙂
Skipped some of the Sword saga? It’s OK, catch up today!